COVID-19 Links and Resources for Law Enforcement
A reference repository for law enforcement-related COVID-19 information from New York State agencies, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and professional associations.
Bookmark this site: DCJS will continue to update this page as new information becomes available.
Please also visit the State’s main COVID-19 webpage: coronavirus.health.ny.gov.
Do you know of a COVID-19 resource that may be helpful to other criminal justice professionals in New York State?
Contact the Knowledge Bank at [email protected] or (518) 457-7301
COVID Alert NY
Smartphone application for COVID-19 exposure alerts
COVID Alert NY is a voluntary, anonymous, exposure-notification smartphone app available to anyone 18 or older who lives, works or attends college in New York or New Jersey.
Knowing about a potential exposure allows you to self-quarantine immediately, get tested and reduce the potential exposure risk to your family, friends, neighbors, co-workers and others.
New York State Guidance
Guidance and support issued by New York State agencies for law enforcement
Updated guidance on the COVID-19 testing protocols
Interim guidance and exposure mitigation strategies designed to help law enforcement personnel and agencies limit potential COVID-19 exposure
Guidance bulletin for 911 Public Safety Answering Points (PASPs) and Emergency Communication Centers (ECCs)
Guidance document pertaining to sexual assault exams and evidence collection during the COVID-19 state of emergency
Document detailing the responsibilities of hospitals to secure the personal effects of deceased individuals including items of evidentiary value to law enforcement
Guidance to probation departments regarding home visits and in-person contacts with probationers
Administrative Order from the Chief Administrative Judge extending criminal and civil temporary orders of protection
Guidance and reminders related to responding to domestic incident calls and assisting victims of domestic violence
Domestic violence resource and contact information
Printable victim assistance program information card for police distribution
Guidance recommendations for outpatient treatment and residential programs to prevent the spread of COVID-19
Guidance and operating principles identifying outpatient addiction treatment programs as essential services
Document designed for the public that advises persons harassed or threatened due to their COVID-19 status to contact local law enforcement or the New York State Hate Crimes Task Force
Law Enforcement Resources
Websites providing COVID-19 resources and information-sharing for law enforcement
International Association of Chiefs of Police: Law Enforcement Information on COVID-19
A webpage dedicated to providing guidance to law enforcement on dozens of COVID-19-related sub-topics. Operates an online community where IACP members can ask questions and share resources.
American Society of Evidence-Based Policing: Law Enforcement COVID-19 Portal
A centralized information-sharing platform for police departments worldwide to share how they are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic in real-time. Secure site, requires login with law enforcement email.
Police Executive Research Forum: Responding to the COVID-19 Coronavirus
Contains up-to-date information on police COVID-19 response tactics, including an archive of daily reports sourced from law enforcement officials on how their agencies are responding to the threat posed by COVID-19.
National Police Foundation: Coronavirus Resources for Law Enforcement
A dashboard-based site that tracks workforce impacts, number of officers that have been tested and diagnosed, and personal protection equipment (PPE) needs and projections. Contains a law enforcement-specific COVID-19 FAQ section and a COVID-19 search tool targeted to first responders.
National District Attorneys Association: COVID-19 Prosecutor and Court Resources
A webpage designed to provide prosecutors with current information, effective best practices, and targeted resources to help keep their communities safe and secure during COVID-19.
National Sheriffs' Association: Coronavirus Information for Sheriff’s Offices
An information sharing platform for COVID-19 support for Sheriffs’ law enforcement operations and emergency corrections coordination.
American Probation and Parole Association: COVID-19 Community Corrections Response
A webpage containing COVID-19 resources and materials specific to community corrections.
Bureau of Justice Assistance: COVID-19 Vaccine Toolkit for the Law Enforcement Community
A toolkit for law enforcement agencies that includes resources and strategies to use internally and when communicating to the public about the importance of vaccinations and other critical safety measures.
Upcoming or previously recorded COVID-19-related webinars for law enforcement
- National Network for Safe Communities: Intimate Partner Violence in the Context of COVID-19 - web panel of experts on maintaining a robust response to intimate partner violence during the era of COVID-19 and ways to continue to keep survivors safe
- National Network for Safe Communities: Addressing Public Health Harm Past and Present in the Context of COVID-19 - discussion on legacies of racial harm and disparity as it relates to violence prevention and the present COVID-19 public health crisis
- Office of the Attorney General State of New Jersey: Resilient Minds on the Front Line - webcast series on resiliency for front line workers
- International Association of Chiefs of Police: Virtual Roundtable on COVID-19 and Law Enforcement Response to Domestic and Sexual Violence - web panel discussing the COVID-19 pandemic and violence against women
- Prosecutors Against Gun Violence: Prosecutors Respond to COVID-19 - virtual summit on the public safety challenges that have arisen during the COVID-19 pandemic, including domestic violence, child abuse, firearm-related issues, and jail release
- American Parole and Probation Association: As the COVID-19 Dust Settles: Agency Efforts to Recover - virtual roundtable on the challenge of recovering from the impact that COVID-19 has on probation staff, probationers, and the overall criminal justice system
- American Probation and Parole Association: Probation Officers on the Front Lines Against COVID-19 - roundtable discussion on the impact that COVID-19 has had on community corrections line staff including, insight into the needs of officers, ways to manage workloads, and develop strategies to effectively engage individuals on supervision in a virtual space
- International Association of Chiefs of Police: Virtual Listening Session on EMS and Fire, Vicarious Trauma and the Impact of COVID-19 - web panel on the impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on the fire and the emergency medical services communities
New York Forward
New York will reopen from the COVID-19 pandemic on a regional basis.
As each region meets established criteria designed to protect public health, businesses may reopen. The phased plan, entitled New York Forward, focuses on getting people back to work and easing social isolation, without triggering renewed spread of the COVID-19 virus or overwhelming the hospital system.
Contact the NYS Department of Health
Have COVID-19 health questions? Call the Department of Health COVID-19 Hotline or ask DOH a question.
Contact the NYS Office Mental Health
Feeling overwhelmed? The NYS COVID-19 Emotional Support helpline is staffed by specially trained volunteers who can help.
Contact the Division of Criminal Justice Knowledge Bank
Do you know of a COVID-19 resource that may be helpful to other criminal justice professionals in New York State? Contact the Knowledge Bank.